As We Age Hair Care Becomes a Concern
As you age, you need to pay more attention to your physical fitness, the condition of your skin, and the health of your hair. Often in your later years, your hair actually will start to thin or even fall out, which can cause stress and depression. To avoid this, start taking extra care of your tresses immediately.
Hair Care Suggestions
- When selecting a shampoo and conditioner, look for ones that are sulfate-free. Sulfates are effective at cleaning because they’re basically like detergent. But sulfates are chemicals that, over time, can dry out and damage hair. Sulfate-free products will help to protect your scalp, so your hair will look and feel healthier.
- Choose a shampoo and conditioner with a thickening formula instead of a volumizing formula. Volumizing products make hair lighter and bouncy, so your hair appears to have more body. But thickening products will add thickness to each strand of hair, which makes it look as if you have an abundance of locks.
- Many hair care specialists will advise you not to shampoo every day because shampoo is too harsh. However, for many women, your hair will look flat if you don’t shampoo daily. So instead of filling your palm with the product, just use a small amount of shampoo on your hair. You don’t need much to create a bit of lather.
- You also might be told, or have read, to only condition the ends of your hair, because if you put conditioner all of it, your hair will look weighed down and greasy. However, you actually can put conditioner on all of your hair. The secret is in how you wash it out. Most women will rinse three or four times, and that’s it. Instead, you need to do it twelve to fifteen times, depending on the length of your hair. Using conditioner is essential because it repairs damage and enriches the health of hair.
- When brushing or combing your hair, it’s imperative to make sure that the brush or comb you’re using is clean. Oils and dirt can build up and transfer into your hair. Soak your brush or comb in hot water once or twice a week to keep it clean.
Hair care can become a challenge as you age. But if you follow a few, simple hair care techniques, you can keep your hair looking healthy and beautiful for your entire life. At Blu Salon in Edgewater, NJ our hair care specialists can start you back on the right track to having beautiful and healthy looking hair. Our hair care specialists are highly experienced and knowledgeable in the field of hair care for older women. Contact Blu Salon to set up your appointment. Our salon is known for its beautiful atmosphere. We are right on the Hudson River. Our clients come from all over the tri-state areas of NY, NJ, Conn. and beyond.